Sunday 10 July 2011

Lavender Blues

Lavender Blues

There is not a single poem that I can find about Lavender. There is nothing on the internet that resembled anything that I could possibly be inspired to use in a blog about lavender, only a short quote from a Shakespeare play that hardly described the delights of this delicate and diverse little flower. It merely mentioned that it was good luck to plant some in your garden; A Winter’s Tale.
So there is a challenge to anybody reading this blog; get writing about lavender and it is sure to find a place in a search engine that could boost your own blog site, should you have one. I know that I am going to have a go at writing my own Lavender Blues.

“Lavender blue, Dilly, Dilly”. Come to think of it, they didn’t even mention that on my internet search. I wonder if I went onto a French Google there might be something for a “poeme de lavande”.
Oh yes indeed.

Ce soir

Je vais m'eétendre

Dans la lavande

Et voir

Aprés les étoiles filantes.

Regarder

Leur éclat

Lumineux

Comme celui

De tes yeux.

Ce soir

Je vais m'étendre

Dans la lavande

Et voir

Aprés les étoiles filantes

Tout en m'endormant

Je rêverais

A tes bras

Si puissant

M'enserrant.

Ce soir

Je vais m'étendre

Dans la lavande

Et voir

Aprés les étoiles filantes

Tout en humant

Leur odorant parfum

Commelorsque

Je m'imprégnais

Du tiens.

Ce soir

Je vais m'étendre

Dans la lavande

Et voir

Aprés les étoilesfilantes

Je m'évaderais

Dans cette provence

Que je connais

A peine

Mais qui me tiens

Tant à coeur

Comme le tiens

Qui tient au mien

Avec tant d'ardeur.

Ce soir

Je vais m'étendre

Dans la lavande

Et voir

Aprés les étoiles filantes

Je fermerais les yeux

Et je ferais un voeux

Afin de ne plus

Les rouvrir

Afin de mourir

Et vivre

A jamais

Dans ma garrigue

Avec pour seule compagne

La musique des cigales.

Not bad. Or this?

Contemplent,savoureusement,
un doux paysage,
Couleur velouté,
d'un présage argenté.

Une petite fleurs de Lavande
et de son doux parfum chatouillent mes narines
inspirent,vigoureusement l'intense
envie d'une passion,voluptueuse.

Ferment les yeux,de son doux parfum
m'en volent dans son imaginaire.
Au gré des saisons rayonnante, et spontané.

L'envie intense de caresses
s'empara de mon âme toute entier
me suis sentie envahie de tendresse passagère
d'un rêve qui me fit chaviré

Me sentent bercé de se doux envie
sensorielle m'enlacent de ses pétales
Pour ne plus jamais les
L'oublier.

Perhaps I’ll just cheat and translate the significant sections from each of these poems and then make them flow into English.

I would like nothing more right now than to be sitting in a field of lavender as the sun sinks away from the day and the moon takes its position of enlightenment on the tiny purple flowers that emit such a perfectly relaxing smell. Luckily I have that very possibility a mere 25 minutes drive from my house but I it is possibly a little late in the day.

The Mayfield Lavender fields just outside Banstead were an accidental discovery on my way to visit friends in Epsom last year. I vowed that I would return to them as soon as possible but I never did. A couple of weeks ago, I travelled along the same road to the same destination and looked to my left as I passed the fields to see whether the purple pretties were in bloom. They weren’t but it looked as though they were going to appear in about a fortnight. So looking at the website today, I discovered that the main bulk of flowers had appeared on the 4th July. With nothing particularly planned for today, I took myself off with my trusty camera as the weather looked relatively decent.

Sadly, as I arrived at the field, I felt a few drops of rain and the cloud had well and truly eclipsed the early morning sunshine. I shall know next time to ensure that there was no chance of a change in fortune regarding the weather because I really do want some photos of this field with some gleaming sunshine upon it. However, I was not too perturbed. There I was, less than half an hour away from home in a field of lavender that in my mind at least transported me to the masses of purple fields that I long to see in La France. It gave me a glimpse of what I fully expect to be enjoying on a regular basis one day; that and a field of sunflowers to walk through too.

It is worth a visit though. I am always delighted to support the small entrepreneur who has some soul in the product that they are selling. This field, from what I can gather, is owned by a relatively small group of people. It might even be owned by a couple, perhaps the owners of the adjoining farm building. What they have done is very much on a small scale. They have a canopy that covers a little shop with all kinds of lavender products that are reasonably priced, and all organic to boot. They do not charge you to walk through the field and have even provided a pergola and benches in two different sections so that you can stop and sit and take in the beauty of the surroundings.

Let us not make any mistake. This is not Provence. Indeed it is a poor substitute but it was so lovely to see other people walking through the fields and simply enjoying this unique field in the middle of Surrey, a mere half an hour from the centre of London. Just when you feel as though the world is full of morons craving to get out and buy their souvenir copy of the last News of the Screws, you come across a field in the middle of nowhere with plenty of people choosing to spend an hour there just because there is this natural beauty, unusually placed on the side of a busy road, where two people have decided to share their love of their lavender with their friends, family and unknown passers-by. So lovely.

I’m looking forward to returning soon, at around 7.30 in the evening and seeing what I can capture with my lens. Perhaps I might even enter their annual photograph competition with my efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment